Keeper Aides perform duties as required for the care and maintenance of Zoo exhibits. Maintenance activities include scrubbing and hosing enclosures, removing trash, and assisting keepers with various projects.
- 18 years or older.
- Able to lift 50 pounds and perform physically demanding tasks (such as scrubbing and raking) repeatedly for long periods of time.
- Volunteer for one four-hour shift once a week (typically 8 AM – 12 PM).
- Submit proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) test to the Volunteer Office annually.
- Clear a Department of Justice (DOJ) background check.
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Comply with Zoo dress code.
- Submit $80 registration fee to cover the cost of uniforms and training, payable upon acceptance to the program.
- Submit $36 in annual dues each year to stay active in the program. Dues cover the cost of additional trainings, volunteer activities, special events, and more.
Please be aware that once training is finished, this program requires a minimum commitment of six months. Prospective volunteers must pass each class with an 80% success rate or better in order to move on to the next part. Regular, ongoing schedules are discussed after evaluations.